Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wanted: Christmas spirit.

Last night as I was sitting in the car, staring at all the non-existent Christmas lights, I turned to my Dad and stated, 'It just doesn't feel like Christmas.'

It usually doesn't take much to get me in the festive spirit, I love present shopping, and if you sing me a carol, it'll be in my head for days. I love the Christmas period, otherwise known as December. I love seeing a Santa everywhere I go, I love those annoying tunes, I love those crappy movies, and I love the 'togetherness' and seeing all those people you haven't seen for months at the annual Christmas parties.

There's something about this year, it's just not right. I don't like the fact that basically everything is open on Christmas day, I don't like the fact that I walked around Highpoint the other day for six hours and only heard two carols, and I definitely don't like the fact that I feel like a scrooge.

Maybe I'm just in an awkward period, too old to really get into it, not old enough to have kids to help leave out Santa cookies and milk (or as tradition in the Stewart household, Beer and BBQ shapes).
Whatever it is, I have eight days to shake it, and I'm determined for next year to be bigger and better. I think I'd cry the day I felt too old for Christmas.

Although, this morning, this did brighten my day. Thank you Sandi Sieger.

Does anyone feel the same? Do you think people are beginning to take Christmas for granted?

1 comment:

  1. Christmas has become a commercialized venture, but that doesn't mean that we should lose our joy. Be thankful for our healthy families; enjoy everyone's laughter; give something back to someone who may need it more than you. As we get older we think that we are losing what it is to enjoy Christmas, but we don't have to: find joy and happiness just being with the ones we love!

    ReplyDelete