Friday, March 12, 2010

'Finish what you're doing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.'

Neil Gaiman says "Finish what you're writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it."
It's an incredible quote when you think about it. If you replace the word 'writing', you can adapt the quote to apply to anything.
Even replacing the word with 'doing' creates a very motivational sentence.
-Finish what you're doing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.
As I sat at my laptop the other night attempting to write my novel and coming across some severe writers block (Well, I actually hadn't started..), I took to googling for inspiration. (And by google I mean the internet, and by internet I mean facebook and twitter)
I then came across Neil Gaiman's quote.
A little flicker of hope raged in my stomach, and so I poured my fourth cup of coffee for the night, and finally came up with three different options for a prologue and an in depth charcter analysis.
Presto, that nights work done.
It's funny to think that one sentence, a meshing of words was enough to unblock whatever was going on in my head, and allow the creativeness to flow.
But it did, and there is no way I'm going to question it.
This quote I now have displayed in my bedroom, for me to look at whenever the work is getting to me, whenever I think I'm never going to get through all of it.


Hope PWE is treating all you PWE guys well!
Remember to smile :)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, positive,'makes me feel happy and tingly inside' piece of writing.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete