Thursday, June 10, 2010

Taboo- The idea of plastic surgery and young girls

The number of young girls turning to plastic surgery to enhance their looks is alarming, and honestly, quite disturbing. We live in an age where society is so transfixed on looks that every one forgets what really matters. And as ridiculously cliché as that sounds, it’s the truth and if you don’t think so, unfortunately you’re kidding yourself. Of course that’s not to say that there aren’t some really special people out there who are fighting to change this, and aren’t giving up any time soon.
The idea of plastic surgery has always been a bit taboo for me. There is a part of me that absolutely detests it. The idea of people changing their body because they don’t like the way it looks really gets on my nerves and sometimes I feel like strangling people like Heidi Montag (or Montag-Pratt, depends if you believe the latest gossip). The ‘popular’ (and I use that term VERY loosely) The Hills star has sent her body through the ringer. All because she wasn’t happy with the way she looked, and felt she needed to enhance herself if she was going to be in the public eye. Now I think she’s gorgeous before she had any work done. So why on earth did she? It was because she needed to be beautiful… duh. This sort of plastic surgery, I don’t agree with at all. I think she’s stupid, she’s going to regret it and it’s is the worst possible message you could send to any girls. And don’t get me started on the money aspect.



After Image(http://www.layoutlocator.com/graphics/dldimg/d928cb8bc4d8422a84fbe949c6ca666d_heidi_montag-5370.jpg) Sorry for the long URL but it's being a pain and wont let me change it.

However, there is plastic surgery that I do agree with, and I can fully sympathise with the people wanting it done. Burn victims, abuse victims and other such people I can understand wanting to have something done if they’d somehow been disfigured. Then again, this is trying to get something back, not trying to have something that was never there. There are cases that warrant plastic surgery but who judges who is deserving of it and who isn’t? Well, not me, but I’m still entitled to my opinion. Which if you haven’t already gathered is that most plastic surgery is silly and most motives behind it is a personal gain for the worst.

This has been a subject widely discussed for years, but it caught my attention again in the last few days. Mainly because of 18 year-old single mother Ambah Young. She’s heading to Malaysia to have a boob job, and a tummy tuck, and, uh, a ‘designer’ vagina procedure (wow, awkward). This is because Ms Young gave birth to her daughter two years ago and has struggled to feel young again. I honestly don’t know how I feel about this. I don’t agree with it, but who am I to say that this girl isn’t seriously depressed and something needs to be done? The issue is that it is plastered across TV and in magazines that even after you have a baby, your body needs to be ‘perfect’ within a month. Thank you celebrities for fuelling this ridiculous need.
Also in today’s paper, it’s been reported that girls as young as EIGHT are going to beauty salons. And apparently there are a lot of young girls asking for a body wax. I’ll leave it at that and let you use your imagination for that one.

That’s disturbing. Where are these girls’ mothers telling them that they are beautiful in their own skin, and teaching the next generation that it’s not okay to change yourself just because other people want you to. It’s not only disturbing, but it’s downright upsetting. It breaks my heart to think that school aged children are so unhappy and depressed about their looks because some people thing they’re the Queen. Where are the people making sure that we don’t lose anymore girls because of low self esteem due to looks? Who are the people the young girls need to look up to? They are out there, they just need recognition. And they need to be seen as accessible by young girls (and boys).

Firstly, and one of my favourites, is the National Advisory Group on Body Image. This government funded initiative has the likes of Sarah Murdoch, Sports Minister Kate Ellis and journalist Mia Freedman on board. Now this is a fairly ‘big’ initiative and although it’s pretty much the best thing to happen in regards to body image in a long time, sometimes things a little smaller are best.
I’m talking local youth groups- which are amazing for promoting positive body image, and embracing the person within. These things are what is important.
I’d love to think in the near future, that people will actually take into consideration what’s on the ‘inside’ not just the physical. One step at a time hey?
Now this is where I make my plug. Lead On is a youth group that operates in a few areas around Australia. And I’m lucky enough to be involved in Lead On Ballarat. The aim is for youth to have fun, feel great and meet new people. In October Lead On Ballarat will have its first youth event- ‘Paint the Catwalk’. The event will promote positive body image, address the issue of negative thinking, celebrate individuals and promote youth. There will be a fashion show; featuring young talent, and modelled by all sorts of people from the community. There will be local bands, art work and lots of other surprises. Maybe even a celebrity or two.

Get involved- One person can make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Another awesome blog entry. Have you thought of becoming a journalist? haha
    I have to say that I agree with every point you have made.
    And some people have way too much plastic surgery which makes them look horrible!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so spot on about young girls going to beauty salons - I've had to explain to your 9 year cousin that it's not necessary to have her eyebrows waxed, shave her legs, or get foils in her hair - it's not an easy conversation when her friends in her grade 5 class are having all of this done.

    It is also so hard promoting 'it is ok to be you' - body image is such a problem and it's really unnerving how important it is to a 9 year old!

    Well done Morgan - you're a champion and we all love you - just the way you are!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete