Sunday, September 26, 2010

When words fail

I'm a professional writing student. I want to be a journalist. I'm supposed to be good with words. But I honestly can't put yesterday into words and do it justice.

I was born into a Collingwood/Fitzroy family. It was my Dad's family that were (and still are) footy nuts. And although there was a bit of a divide in teams many years ago, when the Fitzroy Lions Football Club came to an end, it was one-eyed Magpies all the way.
I started going to the footy when I was nine, I've been a Collingwood member since I was ten. As cliche as it sounds, it's not just about the footy for my family. We're always together- My dad, brother, aunty, uncles and cousin. I wouldn't be able to tell you the number of times we've been to clinics, family days, parades and all that jazz.

Unfortunately we missed out on GF tickets, that is until a spare one managed to pop up on Friday night and my Dad wouldn't take it. He didn't take it because he gave it to me.
So what you say? Then you don't understand. It's more then a game to us, it's more then football. And my dad gave that up. For me.

Yesterday was amazing, there was only one thing missing. My family, and most importantly my dad. Here's to hoping we get tickets for next week.
There's one thing that's left etched in my mind from yesterday- one sound. The sound of nothing. The sound of shock, disappointment and dis-belief. The sound when that final siren went.

So when words fail, a picture can tell a thousand words.







ALL OF THESE IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT TO THE AFL.
I CLAIM NO COPYRIGHT TO THESE IMAGES.
IMAGES FROM http://www.aflphotos.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment